Welcome to the website of the Christian Science Pupils of J. Thomas Black, C.S.B. The purpose of this site is to provide a platform to efficiently communicate with the students and guests that attend our annual Association day meetings. This meeting is held on the first Saturday of October each year. See the Events page for more information.
NOTE: The password to the Members Only page is CAPS sensitive and must be entered as given. New password required as of 1/6/15.
OVERVIEW OF MR. BLACK’S SERVICE TO THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MOVEMENT In addition to his long career as a Christian Science practitioner and teacher, Mr. Black has filled many roles on behalf of the movement, including those of Board member of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston, Massachusetts, Committee on Publication for Michigan, Trustee of The Christian Science Publishing Society, President of The Mother Church, First Reader of The Mother Church, Teacher of the Normal Class for new teachers of Christian Science, and member of the Board of Education. He also wrote extensively for the Christian Science periodicals. To all these assignments, he brought depth of vision, courage of conviction, candor and humility, keen wit, unending love for the writings of Mary Baker Eddy, as well as intimate knowledge of and respect for the Church Manual. Mr. Black has conducted the annual Association Day meetings since 1971.
Following his passing in December, 2011, the Pupil’s Association continues to serve its members under the Association bylaws, as directed by our Teacher and his wishes. The annual Association Day is addressed by a speaker selected by the Association’s Executive Committee. The speaker for the following year is announced at the annual Association Day.
GUESTS: Christian Scientists who have received Primary Class instruction from an authorized Teacher of Christian Science may apply to our Secretary to attend our Association day meeting. (Please note that this request must be made each year, so that we may plan handouts, name badges, etc.) Please include in your email the name of your Teacher, a note of permission from your Teacher or Secretary of your Association, and all of your contact information. Our Secretary will reply directly to you. Please go to the Events page for more information. Click here to contact our Secretary.
LIST OF PREVIOUS LETTERS TO MEMBERS Some members are wondering if they have received all of the communications from the Executive Committee. Below are the list of the most recent letters that have been sent. If you need a copy, members may contact our Secretary, or see the letters on the Members Only webpage.
- October 31, 2012, notifying members of new meeting date 9/28/13, new Members Only page password, and attached letter from 2013 speaker and assignment for attendees. Sent by email as well as postal to entire list.
- February 9, 2013. Subject: new speaker announced for the Association Meeting 2013. Sent by email as well as postal to entire list and guest attendees.
- July 22, 2013. Invitation to Association meeting with Luncheon Reservation information.
- September 7, 2013. Reminder of upcoming meeting and to return luncheon reservations. By email only.
- January 17, 2014: Speaker’s Assignment, Dues Letter and new password.
- July 23, 2014: Invitation to Association meeting with Lunch Reservation Information.
- January 6, 2015: Letter to Members
- January 6, 2015: Speaker’s Assignment
- June 22 2015 Speaker’s Message
- July 29, 2015: Invitation to meeting with Lunch Information
- November 5, 2015: Member Input Request
- January 2016 Letter and Speaker’s Assignment
- July 2016 Invitation to Meeting with Lunch Reservation
- July 2016 Speaker’s Message
The above letters are available on the Members Only webpage.
CHANGE IN YOUR INFORMATION Should an Association member or Guest have a change in their email address, street address or phone, please notify the Secretary right away. We have worked hard to update our files and want to keep them totally accurate. Members will receive communications by US mail if we don’t have an email address for you. If you do have an email address, please let us know right away. Email is far more efficient for us.